55 Years of
On April 25, 1965, the firm of Daniel Shapiro, Structural Engineer was formed. This small engineering company was headquartered in the Maybeck Building at 1736 Stockton Street in San Francisco. It was renamed Shapiro and Okino, Engineers when, in 1966, Harry Okino, C.E. joined as a partner. John Hom, S.E. joined the firm in 1970 as the third partner, thus establishing the firm as Shapiro, Okino, Hom and Associates, Engineers.
Over the next several years, the firm served the public and private sectors in and around the San Francisco Bay Area, providing seismic resistant design for new buildings, and seismic evaluation and rehabilitation design of existing buildings. Within a short time, the firm established a solid reputation within the community.
In 1987, the firm changed its name to SOH & Associates, Structural Engineers. The firm remained in the Maybeck Building for more than 25 years until it moved to Marathon Plaza in the early 1990s. In 1990, Frankie Lee was named President and Chief Executive Officer. In the ensuing years, the firm grew and diversified into broader services and project types, and added a Bridge & Transportation Division. In 1997, the firm became SOHA Engineers. Stephen Lau was promoted to President & CEO in April 2000, after being with the firm for more than 20 years.
Today, located at 594 Howard Street in San Francisco, SOHA Engineers employs 15 engineering, technical, and administrative professionals. They have continued their tradition of remaining at the forefront of state-of-the-art seismic design and rehabilitation and providing high quality structural engineering services.